The End Times? Nobody Knows.

If we want a better world, we're going to have to work for it.
Remember, we're better than this.

There are those who believe that the world is coming to an end. Perhaps. Our incompetence as human beings might as well be coming to an end. It feels that way, but mostly I want it to be something else, something more. Recently I was beset with the problems of an organization that I had/have been a part of. The issue was whether or not to fire the current manager who some believe wasn’t measuring up. The problem as I saw it was that the measuring tool to evaluate was fraught with inadequacies that no one could live up to within the organizational climate of racism, bigotry, and corruption.

Everyone has an opinion about what to do about the world (or institution, community, or group) in these pandemic times. They side with others who believe as they do, but that is not always the case. Sometimes they side with others who have different agendas, but together, both get what they desire. Not every opinion is nefarious in nature. Some are misguided, but mostly, an opinion is not always a fact or truth, and therein lies the problem.

“Black lives matter,” some exclaim.

“Go back to where you come from,” says another.

“Make America great—again?” The crowd roars.

“The media is the enemy,” claim corrupt leaders.

“I. CAN’T. BREATHE.”  This cry of the people rises. Is anyone listening?

Yes, we all have opinions. But more, we all have a want. A need.

There are rules, but rules are not always equally applied. That alone is enough to feel that the future does not bode well. How do we fix what is broken? How do we bring people together? Can we? I admit that I am tired of these cyclical patterns of oppression, racism, xenophobia, hatred, and the list go on and on, but what am I to do? Round and round we go; where we’re gonna stop nobody knows. It has to end, doesn’t it? We have to figure it out, don’t we?

Yes, I guess I do believe that these are the end times. A time to end inequalities. A time for  the dismantling of oppressive and dangerous regimes, power grabs to disenfranchise most of us. It is not always centered on race or color, sometimes it involves an attack on the poor, the undereducated, the weak. But, we know that racism is high on the list of things to eliminate. The time is at an end to just talk about these things without the action to back what we say we’re for. The time is at an end for our acceptance of being dismissed when we seek redress for crimes against humanity. Justice is just a word until it rains down like water.

Truth is that I want more and if it means destroying the systems that thwart my attempt to live in harmony with my fellow man and woman, I’m willing to see it end. Destroyed. It is a cancer that must be rooted out. It must cease and it cannot until we rise together to achieve that goal.

In answer to the question, what more do you want? It’s a lot. But, to put it succinctly, I don’t want this current world for my grandchildren and the generations behind them, a world filled with strife where good people do nothing, letting bad people prevail. I’m willing to not see it finished, but I damn sure I want it started. And make no mistake, it is starting, and my role is to create the momentum that cannot be denied or refuted. Truth will out.

The end of a world where lies are alternative facts, and corruption is a means to an end, is the reckoning we seek. It is a reckoning that transforms these attributes into punishable offenses once and for all. These individuals who perpetrate these injustices must be held accountable and the laws strengthened so that they and others can no longer prey upon humankind. It is a vision, a start. The rest will be in the hands of those who are being taught what it means to seek peace, harmony and love. If we can be taught to hate, we can definitely be taught to love by being love personified. We don’t have to accept bad behavior, however. Peace is not a weakness, but a strength. Therefore, peace will prevail. I’m counting on it.

The More You Know.
For more information on social injustices view the links:




Comments

Popular Posts